One of the families all time favorite recipes is stuffed peppers, once upon a time we made it with rice which is very delicious. This was surprising to me since there are kids in the house that do not like tomatoes one bit, but they will eat stuffed peppers.
We decided to try it with quinoa instead of rice once to see how we liked it, and found out that everyone loved it even more with the quinoa! So now we no longer make it with rice we only make it with quinoa.
A couple things about this recipe.
- This is such a loved recipe that we have multiplied this recipe so that it is enough for 8 of us to eat and even gives us some leftovers sometimes for kids to eat for dinner on work nights. So if you are a smaller family you can either cut the recipe in half, or you might have enough for multiple meals.
- Often times we will omit some of the cheese in the recipe and sprinkle some of top of the quinoa and peppers instead.
- Not all of our kids like to eat peppers, but some of us do. We fill a few peppers and just cook extra quinoa for those who won’t want to eat a pepper.
- When some of the kids were younger they would not touch food if it had chunks, especially tomato chunks. So we would put our diced tomatoes into the food processor to liquify them, no one would even realize they were eating tomatoes 😉 !
- Lastly we make 2 batches of this recipe for our monthly crock pot freezer cooking fill 1 bag with 3 stuffed peppers and another bag with the left over quinoa. I will pull both bags out the night before we want to use it and let it sit out and thaw. In the morning I will put it into the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.
In the fall we will cut faces into our peppers for a festive dinner idea everyone loves!
Looking for other great recipe ideas? Stop over to my recipe idea page for all of our family favorite recipe ideas along with our monthly crock pot freezer cooking series.