We were blessed with 2 units from Moving Beyond The Page an online Language Arts kit My Side Of The Mountain (ages 9-11) including the book and a hard copy of a science unit Biomes (ages 9-11) from the Schoolhouse Review Crew.
Let me first say that I wish I would have found this resource earlier in our homeschool journey! Moving Beyond The Page encourages real life application using project based instruction for children preschool through middle school. Each of their units meets state and national standards so you can be sure your child is getting a complete curriculum, they do this by letting you know the skills and standards that are being learned in each content area before each lesson. Each of the units from Moving Beyond The Page includes studies in science, social studies, and language arts.
They believe in the Howard Gardener’s theory of multiple intelligences. This states that children will not learn by simply mastering math and literacy skills, they need to be in real life situations in order to to be real life problem solvers. Because the creators of Moving Beyond The Page wants to make sure children of any learning style by having ways that each child can take the opportunity to learn in the way that is easiest to them.
- Kinesthetic (hands-on) learners ~ will be given manipulatives and projects your student can create using a variety of materials.
- Visual Learners ~ will be given the opportunity to work on visual-spatial puzzles, read story books, create drawings & posters, activity pages, and tasks to learn their lessons.
- Auditory learners ~ will get to learn by having lively discussions with parents. The discussions are used to describe, explain, and reinforce each of the skills and ideas in each lesson.
Moving Beyond The Page can be used in 2 different ways, through printed book, or with a PDF file both of which contain the same great resources! They have a video on the website that will walk you through how to use the program so that you know right where to start and how to use the program to best suit your needs! You have the option of just completing 1 unit or you can get a couple of units and have your entire school year covered for a bunch of different subjects!
As many of you may already know My side of the mountain is a great book, now your student can read this amazing pice of literature and dig deeper into the book making the unit come to life! This unit from Moving Beyond the Page is a multi subject curriculum and each unit will last about 20 days. It not only contains in depth questions and a complete literature study guide but it also contains work in spelling, grammar, science, social studies, writing, and more.
Children will read well known literature unit and do hands on fun activities and hands on ideas pertaining to the book. Each of the activities is memorable to children and will help them have a full understanding of the book as well as enjoy learning about it.
Each unit contains many different things to make it the wonderful program it is, you will find advise on helping your student independently work on their lesson, along with Getting Started – which introduces your student to the upcoming lesson including a list of items that you will need for the unit, Ideas To Think About ~ things your student should know before starting the lesson, and where to find the reading as well as the questions that go along with that unit, Things To Know ~ which contains outlines of the lesson as well as the vocabulary for the lesson, Actives ~ that go along with the lessons, this will contain many fun things for students to complete like skits, coloring, science experiments, and more this is the main part of the lesson.
The Biomes study contains enough lessons to last about 20 days and covers a wide range of subjects such as spelling, vocabulary, daily journaling, accompanying literature, art projects, You are given tools to check your students knowledge of the vocabulary words to make sure that they are understanding the story being presented to them, the students also learn to become familiar with some words, and practice learning to spell some of the weeks words. Your student will also keep a daily journal where they can write about their ideas pertaining to the literature for the day. This is really an amazing multi subject curriculum.
In the Biomes Unit your students will travel around the world and learn about the diversity of species found on the earth, and learn about the biomes in your local area, make a book about different biomes around the globe and so many more amazing hands on fun ideas!
Each week you will spend about 3 hours learning science, social studies, language arts lessons. They will also spend about 15-20 minutes of reviewing vocabulary or spelling words. Each of the lessons are split up into 2 different areas:
1) Student Plan~ Inside the student plan you will find advise on helping your student independently work on their lesson, along with Getting Started – which introduces your student to the upcoming lesson including a list of items that you will need for the unit, Ideas To Think About ~ things your student should know before starting the lesson, and where to find the reading as well as the questions that go along with that unit, Things To Know ~ which contains outlines of the lesson as well as the vocabulary for the lesson, Actives ~ that go along with the lessons, this will contain many fun things for students to complete like skits, coloring, science experiments, and more this is the main part of the lesson.
2) Parent Overview ~ This is included before each of the lessons and is a great resource for parents in helping their student get the most from each unit, each lesson contains Big Ideas ~ which is taken from the Ideas To Think About in the student plan, Facts and Definitions which contains misc facts about the unit as well as the lessons vocabulary, Skills ~ is a list of objectives that your student will learn or practice in the lesson, Introduction To The Lesson which gives you ideas on things to do before your student begins working, Outline of Activities and Answer Keys ~ which will let you know what concepts your student will be learning for the day as well as all the answers to the questions found in that lesson, and Wrapping It Up ~ which contains questions to ask your student once they have completed the lesson.
Your student will go on an amazing learning journey where they will read stories, work on acting out skits, draw pictures, do research, and so much more all while having fun learning! The program is set up to teach your students to independently complete each of the lessons with minimal help from parents. Each of the pages your student is required to do for the unit is found conveniently inside the lesson so your student doesn’t have to go looking through the book for their lessons needed each day.
What Did We Think Of Moving Beyond The Page?
I have to say I have fallen in love with Moving Beyond the page, and will be using it again in the future, I am so grateful that we have found this company because I had never heard of it before our review. There are a few things that really makes this curriculum appealing to us. One of the big things is that I can teach multiple kids at the same time, each of the units is for an age range which usually covers a couple of my kids even better they help to teach your child how to do the lessons independantly.
Second off they offer learning in many different ways my children have learned by making drawings, doing projects, making graphs, making diagrams, telling stories, and more. This has made the program very fun and enjoyable for all of my children including my wiggle worms who have to stay busy while learning!
Moving Beyond The Page also covers a large range of subjects rolling them into 1 study, taking a good part of our daily studies and combining it with what we are reading for the day. You only have a couple other subjects to cover on your own because the unit covers spelling, vocabulary, writing, grammar, reading, social studies, and science! The lessons are not anything that take tons of hours to complete and we were able to get through most lessons in a few hours each day and still cover many of our homeschool subjects!
What Is The Cost Of Moving The Page?
- My Side Of The Mountain Physical Copy ~ $33.93
- My Side Of The Mountain Online Copy ~ $29.87
- Biomes Physical Copy ~ $ 31.04
- Biomes Online Copy ~ $ 26.98
Stop over and see what fellow schoolhouse review crew members had to say about Moving Beyond the Page we were blessed with many different units click the banner below.