Most adults get 2-4 cold a year and the average child easily gets 6-10 a year. This equates to consumers spending about $5 billion on over the counter remedies yearly just for the common cold. 20% of people will develop the flu. People are most contagious before they even start feeling symptoms of either illness. Virus’s can survive for 3 hours outside of your body, and up to 48 hours on touchable surfaces including doorknobs, light switches, shopping carts, etc. Just a single virus within a day can have 16 million offspring. Just 1 sneeze can spread 100,000 germs into the air. These statistics are just a few reasons why it is so important to find natural ways to stay healthy during the cold and flu season!!
Why We Use Natural Ways To Stay Healthy During Cold and Flu Season
Finding Natural Ways To Stay Healthy during cold an flu season is something that is very important to me. We have a couple of us who have very low immune systems. Because of that and how difficult it is for all 8 of us to be sick frequently, making sure illnesses doesn’t get into our house is at the top of my priority list.
Natural Ways To Stay Healthy During Cold and Flu Season
Many years ago now, we would get everyone flu shots every year. We would still spend half of cold and flu season sick with either colds or flu’s. So one year, after doing some research I realized almost every single year the flu shot didn’t even help with the strain of flu going around. More often soon after their flu shots, the kids would get sick with a… cold/flu/ear infection. I also found out how dangerous the flu shot is for people. So now I am a strong advocate to NEVER let your child or anyone else get a flu shot. Instead build your immune system up naturally which is the way God made our amazing bodies. Please do your research about the dangers of the flu vaccines before getting them for your or your children.
Luckily after years of trial and error, we now will usually get a slight illness. Only once at the beginning and end of cold and flu season. Plus they don’t last for more then a day or 2, when they used to last for weeks. After lots of trial/error we figured out what works, and it has worked for a few years I am going to share my secrets with you!
My Tips On Natural Ways To Stay Healthy During Cold and Flu Season
- Washing Hands – this one is pretty much a given. We try to always have kids wash their hands whenever we are leaving a public place, leave the bathroom, before we eat, etc… If that is not possible we would then have kids sanitize. Not only that but teaching them proper hand washing skills is important too.
- Eating Healthy Food – Eating a healthy, well balanced diet is another important thing. Meaning getting plenty of fruits and veggies and just a well balanced diet. We usually try to eat mostly organic which I think makes a difference as organic food has much more nutrients left in it.
- Eating Bone Broth – We make tons of things with beef and chicken bone broth during the fall and winter months. We put either beef bones or a whole chicken into a pot of water. We add in a chopped onion, quite a few cloves of garlic, celtic sea salt, and ground pepper. I use only grass fed beef and chicken from a local farmer to really boost the level of healing even more. Let the bones boil for 3-4 hours on a medium boil. Remove the bones/chicken and you have delicious healing bone broth. We use this broth as the base for soups, stews, and any other recipes that call for broth/bullion.
- Taking Elderberry Syrup – Take Elderberry Syrup every day during cold/flu season and some every 2 hours at the first sign of illness. The first couple years we started making this we just made the elderberry syrup with Echinacea. 2 years ago we started adding Rose Hips as well, and since adding that we have been sick even less often.
- Defusing Essential Oils – Oils have so many wonderful healing powers. Our favorite way to use them is to add 6 drops of them to the small diffuser and having them going in living spaces during the day. If I use a bigger diffuser I add more accordingly. If someone is sick we also will diffuse it in their room over them while they sleep with the bigger diffuser. I make my own version of Thieves oil which is my main go to when someone starts getting sick (just type in DIY Thieves oil on Pinterest for how to make it.)
- Not Taking Antibiotics – I am a huge advocate of NOT taking antibiotics any more then absolutely necessary. This means making everyone wait until it is really necessary to take them to the DR. It also means trying many different natural remedies to clear it up on your own first. When you take antibiotics they clear out the bad and good bacteria out of your gut. This means all the good things in your GI system to fight off germs are GONE. I do however, understand that sometimes antibiotics are just necessary. If you do need to give them to your kid I suggest giving a good probiotic our favorites are listed below as well as natural remedy book I often use.
- Cod Liver Oil – Every one of us take Cod Liver Oil every day. There are many amazing benefits to taking this which is why we do it. I also try to be careful where the fish were that the oil comes from due to the radiation from Fukushima. I don’t want my cod liver oil filled with radiation. It is all over many oceans now for anyone who isn’t aware of that. Cod Liver oil helps to prevent almost every diseases out there. It contains EPH, DHA, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Vitamins D,K, and A. Here is a great in depth article from Natural News that shares all kinds of research done to show the amazing powers of Cod Liver Oil.
- Epsom Salt Baths – We have the kids soak in an epsom salt bath at least twice a week for about 20 minutes. I will usually add a couple drops of lavender and chamomile oil to help relax the kids before bed. This helps the magnesium soak our skin into our blood stream. After it’s in the blood system it eliminates toxins from our bodies. I purchase the same salt as below but from Costco since it is cheaper. I have included a link below for anyone who doesn’t have a Costco or if it would be easier to order from Amazon. If you wan to learn more specifics about how this process works I suggest THIS article from Natural News. This site is one of my FAVORITE natural health websites.
Natural Ways To Stay Healthy, Our Favorite Products
Looking for more natural health ideas?? Check out my Natural Healing Remedies Pinterest board below for some great ideas.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. When you make a purchase using these links we receive a very small commission of that sale at no added cost to you. That is what helps keep this blog running. We THANK YOU very much for your support!! Please read my FULL Disclosure policy for more information.