Have you ever wanted to start a physical Education class but didn’t know where to start, or how you can plan a subject you know nothing about? Did you know that physical activity activates the brain and improves on how children complete their tasks during school? Look at the brain scans below, the brain scan on the left was a child sitting quietly, and the scan on the right is a brain scan after 20 minutes of work, what a huge difference!!
Family Time Fitness is a complete curriculum containing 260 planned lesson on over 700 pages of instruction. Developed so parents/teachers could teach Physical Education to their children/students without ever having previous experience teaching Physical Education before. Their homeschool curriculum works wonderfully with most homeschool because it’s easy to follow, can be done in almost any space indoors or outdoors. The program is designed for all age levels and abilities so it is easy to use as a family program and the whole family can take part in the lessons. Lessons take 30-45 minutes a minimum of 3 days a week but adding the program in 5 days a week is recommended. The activites in the program do not require a large investment in equipment.
Each of the 260 lessons consists of the following
- warm up activities where students will do stretches to get their muscles warmed up, the warm up activities will get the children crawling, jumping, hopping, balancing, and much more!
- activity/game play where students will play a games to get them really moving! Some of the games we played were the crab walks, games of tag, dribbling, hoola hooping, and many other fun activities.
- Cool Down where students will learn yoga positions to cool down their muscles.
- Out Door Activity– They also provide fun outdoor activities and games your student will really enjoy. A few of our favorites were Hula Hoop Tag, a version of tag using hoola hoops as safety zones. Soccer ball dribbling where students dribble a soccer ball around cones and then kick it into a goal. Monkey in The Middle- where students pass the ball back and forth trying not to let the “monkey in the middle” get the ball.
We used Family Time Fitness for homeschool 5 days a week most weeks because it is such a wonderful way to get the boys energy out before we sit down for reading time. There were quite a few features of the program that were very enticing to me as a parent and teacher,
- they give very easy to follow directions in the lessons I had no problem teaching the lessons at all,
- They offer a link right in the exercise to a YouTube video that shows children doing each of the exercises, this came in handy and was a feature I used regularly to show the boys certain exercises.
- Each lesson has the needed equipment for the day clearly at the top of the lesson so it’s easy to find at a quick glance.
- They don’t use all kinds of expensive equipment, the exercises require items like balls, hula hoops, jump ropes, cones, bean bags, stop watch, measuring tape, and foam balls.
- The files are broken up into 20 lessons, so rather than having to scroll through all the lessons, you can easily open your file with only 20 lessons at a time to go through.
- They provide assessment tools, the assessments should be done at least every quarter, but are provided for every 6-8 weeks. This was a fun and great way for the kids to see improvements the program has helped them accomplish. Some of the assessments are:
- 1-Page Summaries- At the end of every 20 lessons they offer a 1 page summary that gives a short excerpt of every activity.
I have to admit that we loved this program, having 5 boys to keep busy is always a challenge and Family Time Fitness was such a great way to give them ways to work their muscles and get out some energy while having fun doing it! We are a pretty active family, we have not done a specific physical fitness program in our school before, but we take at least 1 nature walk a week that is usually a couple miles long, the boys climb trees, play tag and chase in the back yard, and many other physical activities, with that being said after the first 2 days of using the program all the boys were taking about how sore they were! It was an eye opener to me that even though we are very active there are obvously areas we were not working on very well.
The boys now will often play one of the outdoor activities while they have free time, it has given them ideas on different games and activities they can play outside. Ethan has enjoyed making his own activities using the equipment we used for the day.
Even Gabe (2) enjoyed doing many of the activities with us, which was quite hilarious at times!
I would recommend Family Time Fitness to all parents, it is a great way to teach children ways they can get their energy out while providing a complete physical fitness program for students. It requires equipment that most of us already have around the house so it doesn’t require you to spend lots of money to implement a PE class, and the program is very easy to follow and even provides videos for each of the activities!
Whats the cost of Family Time Fitness 4 Homeschool?
$57 you get lifetime access to the entire Fitness 4 Homeschool program with lifetime access to all program updates or revisions.
Stop over and see what fellow crew members had to say about Family Time Fitness.
Disclaimer: As a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew I was provided with a copy of Family Time Fitness at no cost to me in return for my honest review of the program. All opinions are the honest opinions of my children or myself.