Michigan is an amazingly beautiful state with a huge variety of places to spend the day learning about so many different topics on any field trips in Michigan. There are over 240 different lighthouses along the 3,288 miles of shoreline in the state making Michigan the longest freshwater coastline in the United States.
There is so much water to be found in Michigan that over 40% of the state is covered in it. With that much water in 1 state and 1/2 the state being covered in forests, I’m sure you can guess that there is a huge population of wildlife just waiting to be observed.
There is not other state you can find 400 foot dunes giving a clear view of Lake Michigan in the north. America’s breakfast city capital in the south. Or an amazing museum, which hosts Thomas Edison’s laboratory, a copy of the Declaration Of Independence, and the actual bus Rosa Parks rode on.
There are so many great places around the state chances are you will never have enough time to visit them all. Just about all of them your children (and the parents too) are sure to make many amazing memories they are sure to talk about for a long time after your trip.
Since I have already shared a post with great places to visit in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, this post will focus on the places in the lower Peninsula. I split the state up into 3 different regions the northern, the western and eastern area. The field trips in Michigan will be split up and listed into one of those areas. Since I live in western area of the state I have added festivals and beaches for this area as well.
Field Trips In Michigan ~ Northern
- Sleepy Bear Dunes National Shoreline – Glen Arbor.
- Search for Petoskey stones – Petoskey.
- Dinosaur Gardens Prehistoric Zoo – Ossineke.
- Colonial Michilimackinac – Mackinac City.
- Avalanche Mountain Preserve – Boyne City
- Mission Point Lighthouse – Traverse City.
- Thorne Swift Nature Preserve – Harbor Springs.
- Great Wolf Lodge – Traverse City.
- Giant Cross In The Woods 55 Feet tall – Indian River.
- Boardman River Nature Center – Traverse City.
- Fort Mackinac, Fort Holmes, and Mackinac Island State Park on Mackinac Island.
- Torch Lake – Antrim County.
- Raven Hill Discovery Center – East Jordan.
- Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum – North Port.
- Mill Creek Discovery Park – Mackinac City.
- Grand Traverse Butterfly house and Bug Zoo – Traverse City.
- Point Betsie Lighthouse – Frankfort.
- Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse – Mackinaw City.
- Great Lakes Children’s Museum – Greillickville.
- Wildwood Rush Canopy Tours – Boyne City.
- Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive along this scenic drive stop by Glen Lake and Lake Michigan Overlook, it is 450 feet above the lake and is known for offering the most amazing sunset views along the shoreline – Empire.
Field Trips In Michigan ~ East
- Ann Arbor Hands On Museum – Ann Arbor.
- Automotive Hall of Fame – Dearborn.
- Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum – Dearborn.
- Morley Candy Makers – Clinton Township.
- Port Huron Museum – Port Huron.
- The Henry Ford Estate – Fair Lane – Dearborn.
- Detroit Historical Museum – Detroit.
- Detroit Zoological Park – Royal Oak.
- IMAX – Detroit Science Center – Detroit.
- Michigan SEA LIFE Aquarium – Auburn Hills.
- Domino’s Petting Farm – AnnArbor.
- Kids ‘N’ Stuff: An Interactive Experience for Kids – Albion.
- The Flint Children’s Museum – Flint.
- Detroit Institute of the Arts – Detroit.
- Michigan’s Own, Inc., Military & Space Museum – Frankenmuth.
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum – Detroit.
- Robert T Longway Planetarium – Flint.
- Detroit Princess Riverboat – Detroit.
- Michigan International Speedway – Brooklyn.
- Legoland Discovery Center – Auburn Hills.
- Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory on Belle Isle Park – Detroit.
- Frankenmuth is an amazing Bavarian city with Bronner’s CHRISTmas Wonderland one of the biggest Christmas stores in the world. Make sure to stop by for some worlds famous chicken at Zehnder’s.
- Frankenmuth Historical Museum – Frankenmuth.
- Opening Day for the Detroit Tigers.
- Wilderness Trails Zoo – Burch Run.
- Saint Joseph Mercy Health Exploration Station – Canton.
- Oakwoods Metropark Nature Center – Belleville.
- The New Detroit Science Center -Detroit.
- Crossroads Village – Flint
- Children’s Museum of Detroit – Detroit.
- Delta College Planetarium and Learning Center – Bay City.
- Children’s Zoo at Celebration Square – Saginaw.
- Cranbrook Institute of Science – Bloomfield Hills.
- Belle Isle Nature Zoo – Royal Oak.
Field Trips In Michigan ~ West
There are over 200 miles of beach towns along Lake Michigan to enjoy. To get a complete list click on THIS link and click on any of the cities, they will bring you to a link of the beaches in that area.
- Grand Rapids Children’s Museum – Grand Rapids.
- Fort Custer State Park – Battle Creek.
- Capri Drive In Theater – Coldwater.
- Children’s Garden at Leila Arboretum – Battle Creek.
- Grand Rapids Public Museum including the Roger B Chaffee Planetarium – Grand Rapids.
- Curious Kids’ Museum – St. Joseph.
- Grand Rapids Art Museum – Grand Rapids.
- Fredreick Meijer Garden and Sculpture Park – Grand Rapids.
- Michigan State Capitol Building Tour – Lansing.
- Fernwood Botanical Garden and Nature Preserve – Niles.
- West Michigan White Caps – Comstock Park.
- Coopersville and Marne Railway – Coopersville.
- Dow Gardens – Midland.
- Grand Haven Musical Fountain – Grand Haven.
- Neils’ Dutch Village – Holland.
- R.E. Olds Transportation Museum – Lansing.
- Blanford Nature Center – Grand Rapids.
- Grand Rapids Fish Ladder – Grand Rapids.
- Kellogg Bird Sanctuary – Augusta.
- Yankee Springs Recreation Area – Middleville.
- Lamar Park Splash Pad – Wyoming.
- Muskegon Museum of Art – Muskegon.
- Country Dairy – New Era.
- Ludington Sand Dunes – Ludington.
- Stony Creek Metro Park – Shelby Township.
- Indoor Children’s Garden and Butterfly House, Michigan State University – East Lansing.
- Pickerel Lake – Cannonsburg.
- Homestead Acres – Ionia.
- Kalamazoo Nature Center – Kalamazoo.
- The Keewatin Maritime Museum – Douglas.
- Townsend Park – Cannonsburg.
- Teusink’s Pony Farm – Holland.
- Visit one of Michigan’s Light Houses, did you know there are over 100!
- Saugatuck Dune Rides – Saugatuck.
- Michigan’s Adventure both an amusement and a water park – Muskegon.
- Silverlake sand dunes – Between Muskegon and Ludington.
- Windmill Island Gardens – Holland.
- USS Silversides Submarine Museum – Muskegon.
- Sable Point Lighthouse – Ludington.
- Potter Park Zoological Gardens – Lansing.
- Gilmore Car Museum – Hickory Corners.
- Wittenbach/Wege Agriscience and Environmental Education Center an outdoor learning center – Lowell.
- Binder Park Zoo – Battle Creek.
- Air Zoo – Portage.
- Henderson Castle – Kalamazoo.
- Midwest Miniatures Museum – Hickory Corners.
- Imagination Station – Grand Haven.
- Kalamazoo Valley Museum for history lovers – Kalamazoo.
- Kingman Museum – Battle Creek.
- Kalamazoo River Valley Trail – Kalamazoo.
- Outdoor Discovery Center – Holland.
- Michigan’s Maritime Museum – South Haven.
- Kellogg Bird Sanctuary – Kalamazoo.
Field Trips In Michigan ~ West Michigan Beaches
Here are a list of beaches along the Lake Michigan shoreline from about Ludington down south to the border. Some of these are beaches right on Lake Michigan, others are small inland lakes right near the shores of the big lake. Some of these beaches are award winning in the US, some in the world. All of Lake Michigan beaches offer clean beaches, beautiful white sand, clear waters, and a great place to spend the day.
- Whiskey Creek Public Access – Scroll to the bottom of this page for directions to the creek.
- Silver Lake State Park – Scroll down on the page to find the directions to this park.
- Holland State Park – Holland.
- Lions Park – Saint Joseph.
- P.J. Hoffmaster State Park – Muskegon.
- Grand Mere State Park – Stevensville.
- Grand Haven State Park – Grand Haven.
- Olive Shores Park – West Olive.
- Oak Street Beach – South Haven.
- Dyckman Beach – South Haven.
- Deerlick Creek Beach – South Haven Township Park.
- Silver Beach – Saint Joseph.
- North Park Beach – South Haven.
- Grand Haven City Beach Grand Haven.
- Little Sable Point Lighthouse – Ludington.
- Crystal Lake.
- Weko Beach – Bridgman.
- Oval Beach – Saugatuck.
- Cedar Point County Park
- Packard Park and Beach – South Haven.
- Newcomb Beach – South Haven.
- Warren Dunes State Park – Sawyer.
- Benona Township Park – Shelby.
- Pier Cove Beach – Saugatuck.
- Laketown Beach – Saugatuck.
- Rosy Mound Natural Area – Grand Haven.
- Douglas Beach – Saugatuck.
- Rocky Gap Park – Benton Harbor.
- Jean Klock Park – Benton Harbor.
- Muskegon State Park- Muskegon
- Claybanks Township Park – New Era.
- Saugatuck Dunes State Park.
- South Park Beach – South Haven.
- Charles Mears State Park – Pentwater.
- Woodman Beach – South Haven.
- Kirk Park -West Olive.
- Golden Township Park – Mears.
- Duck Lake State Park – North Muskegon.
- Kruse Park – Muskegon’s Dog Beach – Muskegon.
- Laketown Beach – Holland.
- Pere Marquette Park – Muskegon.
Field Trips In Michigan ~ Festivals and Celebrations
- Coast Guard Festival – July 28-August 6, 2017 in Grand Haven.
- Festival Of The Arts – First weekend in June every year in downtown Grand Rapids.
- Metro Cruise Held each year in August – Wyoming.
- Lakeshore Art Festival Held each year in July– Muskegon.
- Tulip Time Festival – Holland.
- Art Prize – 19 days in September & October Grand Rapids.
- National Cherry Festival – July 1st-8th 2017 in Traverse City.
- Lilac Festival on Mackinac Island.
- From mid-August through early October, the Michigan Renaissance Festival.
- Ionia Free Fair – July 12-22 2017, Ionia.
- Unity Christian Music Festival – Top Christian music artists – August 9-12 2017 Muskegon.
- Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show and Balloon Festival – June 29-July 4, 2017 Battle Creek.
See what I mean? There are so many great field trips in Michigan! We have visited many of these places, yet there are so many more for us to visit some day.
We have shared a lot of different Michigan field trips we have gone on in the past, head over and check it out on our Michigan page.
What is your favorite field trips in Michigan? Leave a comment below letting me know. I would love to hear from you!
Head over to my Amazing places to visit around Michigan to find other great field trips in Michigan ideas.
This post is part of The Ultimate Guides posts. They are a HUGE resource of posts shared by the bloggers over at iHomeschool Network on many different topics. Head over and check out the other great posts being shared!
I may be linked up with these great linky parties.