Calling all broccoli lovers! This homemade broccoli cheese potato soup is a dream come true! It’s no surprise that the combination of broccoli and cheese together tastes like heaven but when you add in the potatoes…it’s a true treat.
This homemade hearty soup recipe has only a few handfuls of ingredients and takes minimal time to cook but it’s going to taste as though you spent hours preparing this perfectly cooked soup.
And between you and me? That can be your little secret! If they want to think that you spent all day cooking it, let them!
If you like this delicious soup recipe, make certain to check out our Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings!
Broccoli Cheese Potato Soup
I actually prefer for the ingredients to be bigger chunks because I just love how the vegetables taste in the liquid. I have used both frozen and fresh broccoli for this recipe and they are both just as delicious!
Let the kids join in and help cooking too as it’s a great recipe to get them active and working in the kitchen. Before long, they’re going to be out on their own so it’s a good time to start teaching them some kitchen and cooking skills while they’re young.
Plus, one benefit of being the cook? You get to taste test as you go! The cook can never serve a dish for others to try that he/she didn’t try first, right?!
Make up this soup for a long weekend at home and everyone will have something hearty and delicious to eat on for the entire weekend. Talk about the perfect lazy plan!
- 5 Large Carrots, Chopped into small pieces
- 12 Cups Chicken Broth
- 8-9 Cups Broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 1 TBS Garlic, Minced
- 1 Large Onion Diced up Small
- Salt and Pepper To Flavor
- 3lbs Potatoes Cut into small cubes
Cheese Sauce Ingredients
- 4TBS Butter
- 4TBS Flour
- 4 Cups Milk
- 6 Cups Cheddar Cheese
1.Bring your chicken broth to a boil.
2. While you’re waiting for your broth to boil, steam your broccoli leaving it a bit undercooked and set it aside.
2. Add carrots, garlic, potatoes, and onions to the chicken broth.
3. Add your potatoes and carrots into your boiling broth. Let them cook at a boil until they are both well cooked.
4. When your potatoes and carrots are cooked start making your cheese sauce. The directions for that are below.
Cheese Sauce Directions
So this cheese sauce is actually used for many different recipes in our house. When I was a kid my parents would just use Velveeta cheese and it was great. Now that I’m older I don’t think that Velveeta cheese is the most healthy thing for you.
So we came up with our own delicious cheese recipe. We use it in this soup and others, in our homemade mac and cheese, for dipping pretzels in and more.
5. Melt butter in a big pan
6. Add in your flour, mix well with the melted butter using a whisk stirring pretty frequently cook for about 3 minutes.
7. Add in your milk mix it well into your flour mix and cook over medium heat making sure to stir frequently so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of your pan. Continue cooking until the sauce thickens. Since we have moved and now have a gas stove it thickens much quicker then it did when I used an electric stove at our old house.
8. One your milk mixture is thickened add in your shredded cheese and mix well.
9. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
10. Pour your cheese sauce into your soup and gently mix together. It doesn’t look very appetizing once you first put the cheese into the broth, give it a bit of time to cook and it will look much better.
11. Add in your steamed broccoli. I make sure to add the broccoli at the end so it doesn’t get overcooked into the soup. I have learned this one the hard way lol.
12. Let simmer for about 10-15 more minutes. That should be enough time to get the cheese to mix into the soup well. See it looks much better now.
Looking for more delicious soup recipes like this delicious broccoli cheese potato soup? Or maybe a treat to go along with it? Head over to my Pinterest page where you will find many more delicious ideas!
This post may be linked up with some or all of THESE great linky parties. Make sure to head over to find more great ideas from fellow bloggers.