One of the families all time favorite recipes is stuffed peppers, once upon a time we made it with rice which is very delicious. This was surprising to me since there are kids in the house that do not like tomatoes one bit, but they will eat stuffed peppers.
We decided to try it with quinoa instead of rice once to see how we liked it, and found out that everyone loved it even more with the quinoa! So now we no longer make it with rice we only make it with quinoa.
A couple things about this recipe.
- This is such a loved recipe that we have multiplied this recipe so that it is enough for 8 of us to eat and even gives us some leftovers sometimes for kids to eat for dinner on work nights. So if you are a smaller family you can either cut the recipe in half, or you might have enough for multiple meals.
- Often times we will omit some of the cheese in the recipe and sprinkle some of top of the quinoa and peppers instead.
- Not all of our kids like to eat peppers, but some of us do. We fill a few peppers and just cook extra quinoa for those who won’t want to eat a pepper.
- When some of the kids were younger they would not touch food if it had chunks, especially tomato chunks. So we would put our diced tomatoes into the food processor to liquify them, no one would even realize they were eating tomatoes 😉 !
- Lastly we make 2 batches of this recipe for our monthly crock pot freezer cooking fill 1 bag with 3 stuffed peppers and another bag with the left over quinoa. I will pull both bags out the night before we want to use it and let it sit out and thaw. In the morning I will put it into the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.
In the fall we will cut faces into our peppers for a festive dinner idea everyone loves!
Crock Pot Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- -3-6 Bell peppers
- -2 lbs ground beef cooked and drained
- -1/2 cup chopped onions
- -1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- -3 14oz cans of diced tomatoes you can put in food processor if your family does not like tomato chunks
- -2 Cups uncooked quinoa
- -2 Cups water
- -2 14oz cans tomato sauce
- -4 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
- -2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- -Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut tops off of and remove inside seeds of bell peppers. If not cooking in crock pot, boil peppers in water for 5 minutes. Sprinkle salt inside each pepper and set aside.
- Sauté ground beef with chopped bell peppers and onions until cooked thoroughly then drain.
- Put ground beef back into pan and add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water, quonia, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes. Until most of the liquid is cooked into the quinoa and the quinoa is cooked.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill cleaned out bell peppers with quinoa.
- Put peppers and any extra filling into a freezer ziploc bag for later, or put into a pan in the oven at 350' for 30-40 minutes.
- We freeze ours and pull it out the night before, put it into the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.
Looking for other great recipe ideas? Stop over to my recipe idea page for all of our family favorite recipe ideas along with our monthly crock pot freezer cooking series.