In our Mother Goose Time preschool curriculum this month we have been learning all about Dinosaurs. Both of the younger boys have especially enjoyed the topic, and I have felt that Ethan could use some more challenging work in regards to our Mother Goose Time themes.
So today I am going to share with you some of the wonderful resources I have found while putting together some activities for both of the boys, but especially elementary levels to go along with our dinosaur unit.
Dinosaur Unit Ideas
- Teaching Ideas has many different free printables to go along with any dinosaur unit. They have dinosaur fonts, posters, timelines, dinosaur vocabulary, and many other wonderful resources. A few of their great resources are:
- These printable fact cards are perfect for teaching kiddos facts about dinosaurs.
- Printable Did You Know cards are a great addition to any dinosaur unit.
- These printable posters and cards would be the perfect addition to any bulletin board or even a dinosaur lap book.
- This printable would be a perfect way to teach kids just how big the dinosaurs really were. They show size comparisons to many of the dinosaurs.
- Science Kids shows you how to make a fossil cast using plaster of paris to go along with learning about fossils.
- This printable dinosaur word scramble or even a printable word search is a fun way to practice dinosaur vocabulary.
- These dinosaur facts, pictures, and videos would be a wonderful resource to anyone who is looking to learn more about many different types of dinosaurs.
- The American Museum of Natural History has tons of resources you can use for any dinosaur unit study, lap book, etc… from games, to quizes, pictures and more. This site is such an amazing resource!!
- The Smithsonian Museum has a game that kids can play that simulates what paleontologists would do during a real dinosaur dig, or they can take a virtual tour of the dinosaur exhibits.
- National Geographic offers many different dinosaur activities for grades K-8.
- Paleo Cookie Dig is a delicious way to teach kids in grades 1-3 about a paleontologists dig site using cookie bars.
- Busy Bee Kids Printables has many great FREE Printables available, from chore charts, dominoes, memory game, stationary, dot to dot, and many more.
- Pre-K Pages offers many different printables for kids all about dinosaurs.
- Dinosaur handwriting sheets are a great resource for younger kids.
- Discovery Education has a great unit that is a great resource for putting your dino units together.
- Homeschool Activities shared this great idea for making dinosaur lap books.
- Homeschool Share has some free printables for a creation based lap book, she also has dinosaur coloring books with and without handwriting practice, and dino report forms.
- Deb at Living Montessori Now has a couple great Montessori ideas that would be a wonderful resource for any homeschoolers she has a dino and dino baby matching activity using TOOB dino set as well as a Dino skull excavation activity, both look like a fun hands on learning idea!
Online Dinosaur Games
- Dinosaur museum has a great site for kids to learn all kinds of dino information.
- National Geographic has info on dino eggs, dino hatching.
- Dino Buzz has all the current dino news for kids to research.
- National Geographic also has a lot of great info for kids to learn all about dinos.
- Kids Dino’s has many different learning activities for kids to learn all about dinos.
Finding decent dinosaur movies for kids is quite a difficult task. Quite a few of the videos that I could find had quite a bit of dino violence. In my opinion this would be fine for older high school students and maybe even jr high school students.
For my elementary kids I needed to find clean and not dinos ripping each other apart. This task was near impossible, so there is 1 Disney movie that I found that is a clean educational movie for kids, the rest are all kids series that are about dinosaurs. Most of them teach many different dinosaur facts during the movie, but a couple are just fun shows. All of these are linked to the prime Instant Videos on Amazon.
Books for Learning More About Dinosaurs
The following books are for learning facts about dinosaurs, any of these books are perfect for a dinosaur unit.
- First Dinosaur Encyclopedia
- Little Kids First Big Book of Dinosaurs
- Dinosaurs from A-Z
- National Geographic: The Ultimate Dino-Pedia
Christian Dinosaur Books for Kids
There are many different dinosaur books out there for kids, finding books that are from a Christian perspective is even harder. The following are books that are taught from the Christian perspective and are a great resource for adding to your library.
Our Favorite Dinosaur Picture Books
- Dinosaur Roar
- Ten Terrible Dinosaurs
- Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
- How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends? There are many different books in this series, this is just the one that we have, I’m sure the others are wonderful children’s books as well!
Dinosaur Sensory Ideas
- The Stay at Home Educator shared 2 different Dinosaur sensory bins, the first is a Dinosaur Nests using Easter eggs and mini dinosaurs, the second is the same moon sand as bin #1 with dinosaurs and plants.
- Dinosaur Ice Egg sensory bin, shared by Teaching Mama.
- This no sew dinosaur play mat from Fun at Home with Kids would be a wonderful sensory play area for kids during a dinosaur unit!
- Fizzy mud and dinosaurs from Growing A Jeweled Rose would be a simple but very fun sensory bin.
- 123Homeschool4Me has a bunch of different dinosaur ideas as well as a couple sensory ideas. She has both Dinosaur science fun as well as hatching dinosaur eggs, both look very fun!
- This fossil dough from Nuttin’ But Preschool looks like a fun sensory medium to use, one we have not tried yet, but we will be making it for our sensory bin next week for Mother Goose Time Curriculum. Supposedly it makes great imprints in the dough as well.
- Salt dough dinosaur impressions would be a perfect way to have some sensory fun from Rainy Day Mum.
- We shared a simple sensory bin idea using plastic dinosaurs and sand during the summer. Ethan LOVED this simple sensory idea!!
- This dinosaur goo game would be a very fun sensory bin idea from Crayon Box Chronicles.
Dinosaur Art and Craft Ideas
- Dinosaur head band craft idea from Teach Preschool.
- Krokotak shared this adorable dinosaur paper craft and used TP rolls as legs.
- Activity Village shared this adorable easy to make paper plate dino mask.
- Dino stomp painting is the perfect quick and easy art activity.
- A Differentiated Kidnergarten shared the recipe for how to make your own dino teeth necklace.
- Paper plate dinos is a fun and easy project for kids, you can even get the free printables over at The Craft Train.
- Rainy Day Mum shared this super cute way to make dino feet using old kleenex boxes and construction paper.
- This resist crayon dinosaur art is a colorful and super easy project for kids from the Do It Yourself Mom!
- Busy Bee Kids Crafts has this adorable printable open and close dinosaur it is super cute.
- Make this printable dinosaur diorama using a show box.
- These printable coloring pages would be a fun resource for kids to use on days that they need something to do.
Great Dinosaur Resources on Amazon
- Dinosaur Thematic Unit
- Ultimate Dino Dig Science Kit
- Melissa and Doug Dinosaur Stamper Set
- Bucket of Dinosaur Action Figures
- Bucket of Dinosaurs fossil Skeletons: These would be perfect to add to a dinosaur Paleontologist dig sensory bin!
- Smithsonian Diggin’ Up Dinosaurs T-Rex
- The Magic School Bus: Back in Time with the Dinosaurs
- Scientific Explorer My First Dino Kit
- 6 pk Dinosaur Eggs
- 24 Dinosaur Stampers
- Dinosaurs Extinct? Board Game
My kids LOVE playing with LEGO Bricks and Playmobil sets, they make for some wonderful imaginative play! Here are a few of those sets in Dinosaur theme.
- PLAYMOBIL Stegosaurus
- PLAYMOBIL Transport Vehicle with Baby T-Rex
- PLAYMOBIL Explorer and Triceratops with Baby
- PLAYMOBIL Dimetrodon Playset
Do you know of other great Dinosaur resources? Leave me a link in the comments I would love to add it to my list!
For other great ideas stop over and follow my Dinosaur Pinterest Board, I will be adding new ideas to it as I find them.
Follow Mama Of Many Blessings’s board Dinosaur Theme on Pinterest.
Linking up with THESE great link parties, stop over to find other amazing ideas for kids and homeschoolers.
Dislaimer: This post contains affiliate links, we receive a small percentage for the referral at no extra cost to you. This helps keep our blog running, Thank You!! Click here to read our full disclosure policy.