When I first started cooking I would purchase can’s of Manwich and mix it with meat and we would have an easy recipe that the family loved! Once we started making most things ourselves I looked for a recipe that would be loved by everyone in our house just as much as the pre made that they had come to love. After many years of changing things around we have our own recipe for sloppy joe’s that everyone loves without the additives and chemicals.
This is one of the recipes that we make for our monthly freezer cooking, I pull out the bag from the freezer, put in the crock pot in the morning, and it will be ready to eat at dinner time. For this busy season in our lives these are the best way to make meals for our family. It means we all work together 1 weekend a month to make the dinners for the whole month and store them in the freezer.
Just like the rest of my recipes I use other recipes as an outline for how I will make it and adjust ingredients to our liking and quantities of servings.
- The first thing I will say is that with 8 of us, this includes multiple teenage boys we make large quantities of food. This recipe is enough for all of us to eat for dinner and even sometimes having leftovers for lunch another day. You can always scale the recipe down to a smaller amount.
- Second thing is that we like our sloppy joes saucy and not as meaty, so our recipe is made accordingly. We also like a little smoked flavor which is why we add the worcestershire sauce, we LOVE the flavor this adds and really think it is what makes the recipe awesome!!
- Lastly we make the recipe all organic by using grass fed beef from our local farmer, seasonings that are organic, and the buns we get from a local co-op that are made with all organic ingredients.
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- -2lbs group beef
- -1/2 Cup chopped bell pepper
- -1/2 Cup chopped onion
- -4 1/2 Cups ketchup
- -3 TBS worcestershire sauce
- -1 1/2 TBS Mustard
- -2 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- -2 TBS Brown Sugar
- -Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet fry the ground beef along with the onions and bell peppers
- Reduce heat and add all other ingredients simmer for 30 minutes if using right away, or put in gallon size ziplock bag to store in freezer.
- If cooking in crock pot put on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
You can see our other recipes over on our Recipe Ideas Page. There are more main dish ideas, fun kids food ideas, crock pot meal ideas, and many other delicious recipes that well please even the pickiest eater!