If you are a regular follower of the blog you might have seen that last week I shared how we freezer cook for a month at a time. I promised that I would share the recipes we use for our monthly freezer meals, so here they are. During our freezer cooking we make lots of main dishes but we also make most of our side dishes and breads for the month. The recipes that I am planning on sharing first are the side dishes and bread recipes. Today’s recipe is for crock pot mashed sweet potatoes.
Making up these recipes for you was a much more difficult task then I though it would be. Most of my recipes involve me adding a little of this and a little of that I rarely measure things, as sad as that is to say.
But just like my Crock Pot garlic mashed potatoes this is a family favorite recipe that my mother made every year for Thanksgiving. We continue to make the recipe on our own now, but we do not add the nuts or the marshmallows to the top like she used to add for a couple reasons.
Most of my kids like nuts just not on top of potatoes, and also because we try to eat as healthy as possible as much as we can and we try to stay away from marshmallows other then for a couple bon fire’s every year.
You can add them to the recipe quite easily if you want them, you put your potatoes into a 9×13 pan and put them in the broiler for about 2-3 minutes after the potatoes have been cooked.
For our monthly freezer cooking we make 20 pounds of garlic mashed potatoes and 10 pounds of mashed sweet potatoes and store them in the freezer so we can grab them out through out the month for dinners.
Using 10 pounds of sweet potatoes we are able to get 2 meals out of them. Yes with 8 of us (including teenage boys 😉 ) we really eat 5 pounds of sweet potatoes during a meal, and they would probably eat the whole 10 pounds at a meal if I would let them 😀 !
Make Ahead Crock Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- -10 Pounds Sweet Potatoes skinned and cut into cubes
- -1 TBS Pumpkin Pie Spice
- -2 TBS Cinnamon
- -2 TBS Vanilla
- -1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- -1/2 Stick Butter
- -1 1/2 cup Milk
- Boil sweet potatoes in pan of water unit sweet potatoes are tender (you should be able to easily stick a fork through them.
- Once the potatoes are cooked drain them and put them into a big bowl or your Mixmaster bowl.
- Add your butter into the sweet potatoes and mix until butter is melted.
- Add in remaining ingredients, and mix until everything is mixed together well.
- Spoon into pan or freezer bags. Use immediately, store in fridge for use in the next 2 days, or store in the freezer until ready to use.
- Take a bag out about 2-3 hours before you want to cook them, if they are completely thawed trying to get them out of the freezer bags isn't easy at all. When they are mostly froze they come out nicely in a big chunk.
- Put into a pan and bake in the oven at 350' for about 1 hour, you could also put them in the crock pot in the morning on low for about 6 hours.
I am linking up with these great linky parties, stop over for more recipe ideas or other great ideas shared from some great bloggers.