If you are a regular follower of the blog you might have seen that last week I shared how we freezer cook a month at a time. I promised that I would share the recipes we use for our monthly freezer meals, so here they are. During our freezer cooking we make lots of main dishes but we also make most of our side dishes and breads. The recipes that I am planning on sharing first are the side dishes and bread recipes.
We cook our garlic mashed potatoes and the mashed sweet potatoes ahead of time, put them into gallon size freezer bags, and store them in the freezer. When we want to use them for dinner, I take them out of the freezer the morning we are going to use them and let them thaw out just a little bit before using. The first couple months we would pull them out the night before and let them thaw in the fridge overnight but trying to get them out when we needed them wasn’t very fun. If they are only slightly thawed the come out in one big piece.
If I have a meal in the crock pot for dinner that night I will just put them in a pan on the stove for about 10 minutes before dinner and warm them up (you could also warm them up in the microwave or the oven), if we are making a meal that is put in the oven I put them in the crock pot on low in the morning. Super easy, which was out goal in meal cooking.
Most of our recipes are found from different recipe websites and then we change them around due to the fact that we have picky eaters in our house. This recipe, however, was not one of the recipes found online it has been a family favorite for years.
This make ahead mashed potato recipe is the one that my mom used to make for Thanksgiving every year days before the holiday. It was one less thing she would have to make on the holiday and was such a help for her. Even though she is no longer here to make them on the holiday one of us kids always makes them every year for our Thanksgiving celebrations.
Everyone in our family fell in love with the recipe (even my husband who didn’t normally eat mashed potatoes 😉 ) so of course I decided to use it for our monthly freezer meals.
Make Ahead Freezer Mashed Potatoes
- -10 pounds red skinned potatoes cut into cubes
- -16 ounces sour cream
- -3-4 cloves of garlic cut into very small pieces or mashed
- -12 ounces cream cheese
- -2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- -1 cup milk
- -1 stick butter
- -Disposable pan or Gallon Size Ziplock bags to store in the freezer or fridge
- Place potatoes into pot of boiling water, boil for about 15 minutes or until you can easily put a fork through the potato.
- Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl or a mixmaster bowl. (if you use the full 10 pounds of potatoes it will be easier to make half of the potatoes at a time)
- Add the butter/cheese and stir it into the potatoes until both completely melt, add rest of ingredients, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Cool potatoes and spoon into gallon size ziplock freezer bags, put into fridge if they will be made in the next few days, or put in freezer to use for a later meal.
- When you're ready to eat the potatoes slightly thaw (if they are frozen) Put into pan/crock pot.
- Bake them in the oven for about 1 hour, or you can just put them in the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.
What is you’re family favorite recipe that everyone enjoys? Leave a comment letting me know I would love to hear about it!
I am linking up with these great link parties, stop over for more recipe or family ideas from great bloggers!