I love a good old homemade Swiss Apple Pie. Technically, with the current season being Fall, it’s apple season as well. But honestly…in my mind, it’s always time for apple pie time year round.
The trick to this apple pie? Finding good tart, crisp apples to give it that flavor explosion. While sweet apples will work, the flavor tends to be in the tartness more. Once you add your apples and mix with the sugar, the combination of the two create an amazing and addictive flavor that will have you coming back for piece after piece.
Another pleasant surprise to this homemade apple pie recipe? The addition of walnuts to the inside of the pie! Not only do they taste great, but that little extra sweet crunch is truly perfect!
Take the time to make this Swiss Apple Pie this year for your family and friends. It’s one of those recipes that will be a hit year-round, but is certain to be a crowd pleaser during the holidays! My advice? Bake two…because the first one will be gone before you know it!
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped, peeled tart apple 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the egg, sugar and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir onto egg mixture just until moistened.
- Fold in apples and walnuts. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Want to find more great family friendly recipe ideas? Head over to my Pinterest board, where you will find a TON more great ideas.