Top Summertime Traveling Tips with Kids
- Let each child pack their own bag for the journey. If you want them to find ways to entertain themselves during the travel, let them have some of their items with them. You may feel tempted to pack them yourself, but letting little ones pack certain items that they want to have, they’ll be way more inclined to play with them on the trip. Books, games, and toys are great items to bring. Even better, they won’t take up a ton of room, but will help keep them entertained and pass the time when traveling.
- Don’t leave home without their pillows! No one likes to wake up in the car with a neck cramp, right? More than likely, there stands a good chance that your little ones will doze off now and again when traveling. Keep them comfortable and happy by letting them pack a pillow and blanket to snuggle with.
- Every time you stop for gas, have the kids use the restroom. For effective traveling time, it’s important for everyone to work together to coordinate the traveling schedule. Stopping off and on for everyone’s random needs can cause a huge lag in your travel time. When you fill up for gas, have everyone in your family head to the restroom. It’s a great way to make the most of the travel time with fewer random stops.
- Pack a ton of snacks from home. Let’s be real…the moment that you start on your trip, your kids are going to be hungry. Packing snacks for the journey is a great way to not have to stop. It also helps to keep all the tummies happy in your car. Have each of your children make certain to grab a special treat for the road as well. After the first few miles, let them enjoy their treat!
- Audiobooks are a lifesaver! If you and your family just can’t seem to agree on what type of radio music to listen to you as you are driving down the road, audiobooks may be just what you need! Head to the local library and see what family-friendly options that they have and check out several for your trip. It’s always good to have a backup or two just in case the one that you chose isn’t a hit. We have had a subscription to Audible for a couple years now and LOVE it, head over to get your free trial (affiliate link.)
- Stop at rest stops along the way. Rest stops were made for a reason. To give “rest” when on the road. Depending on what states you are traveling through, there are some states that really go all out for their rest stops. Playgrounds and even picnic tables and shade can be found quite frequently! It’s a great way to let everyone in your car get out and about and stretch their legs.
Traveling with kids doesn’t need to be overwhelming or stressful. It’s entirely possible to have a calm and peaceful trip with just a little planning. Try to implement a few of the tips above for your next family trip. You may be surprised at just how amazing they make your traveling days!
What is your best tip for families traveling this summer? Leave a comment below letting me know, I would love to hear from you!!
Head over to my Family Traveling Tips with Kids Pinterest board. Where you will find TONS of great ideas for families traveling!