As I’ve said before, every year during the month of December we take the enteire month off of our regular homeschool studies. This means no book work, no regular lessons, etc. Now, that doesn’t mean that we don’t do anything for the month. We are more relaxed, but it is more of a fun relaxed. For this month we like to spend time teaching our children about the REAL reason behind the season.
During the month, we spend time reading great Christmas books, making crafts, learning about the meaning of the Christmas symbols, and more. We also enjoy making DIY Christmas gifts and doing a ton of baking to deliver to friends, pastors, neighbors, etc. We have made so many amazing memories over they years doing this, it has been such a great way to spend the month. To be honest it is way better then having a rushed Christmas season like we used to.
Over the years of doing Christmas unit studies, we have found some amazing resources. Some of them we use every year, others we have used one or two years, some are mainly for younger kiddos and not for the big ones other for the older kids and not the younger ones. Either way the resources out there for FREE or a small fee are simply amazing. So I am sharing my list of great resources, I’m sure you will find useful in your house/homeschool as well.
Great Christmas Unit Study Ideas
- Truth In The Tinsel ~ This is such a GREAT hands on way to teach children about the real meaning of the season. We did a couple post the first year that we used the program showing our crafts from day 1-6, a complete review and in depth look into Truth In the Tinsel.
- Grapevine Bible Studies ~ The Birth of Jesus ~ All of my kids love using Grapevine Bible Studies for learning about the bible. The Birth of Jesus is our favorite study.
- Amanda Bennett Christmas Unit Study ~ This is one of our favorite studies, they have done all the work for you to just follow along with. There is easier ideas for younger kids and harder ideas for the older kids working on it. We did this unit study a few years back with our kids when they were still young. I plan on doing it again this year while we are off on our Christmas break, with the older kids trying the harder section!
- Gingerbread Preschool Worksheets ~ These gingerbread worksheets include counting, coloring, simple math, tracing and more. They are for kids ages 3-6.
- Christmas Journaling ~ This is a great list of Christmas ideas that you could pick from to do together as a family this season to make your own Christmas Journal you can find it over on the LaCelle Family Ministries website.
- Christmas Around The World ~ Looking to teach your children about how other countries around the world celebrate Christmas? Confessions of a Homeschooler offers a FREE download of a Christmas Around the World study. This would be a fun idea to go along with our Christmas Around the World exhibit Fredrick Meijer Gardens offers every year.
- Our Forever House ~ This list of 12 different Christmas ornaments made with LEGO’s from Spaceships and Laserbeams that are a perfect idea to keep kids busy.
- Homeschooling Through The Nativity ~ Offers a FREE unit study which includes notebook pages, word searches, word scramble, coloring pages, and more.
- 25 Hands On Nativity Lessons For Kids ~ This is such a wonderful resource for families to work through the 25 days leading up to Christmas. For each of the days they list reference verses and a craft for you to do.
- Christmas Symbols Unit Study ~ DIY Homeschoolers shares this great unit study with many resources to teach your family about the different Christmas symbols.
- Printable Christmas Resources ~ Easy Fun School offers an extensive list of wonderful christmas unit study resources . This list is SUPER huge, they offer so many different free resources to go along with your Christmas Unit Study ideas.
- Huge Resource List in All Subjects ~ AtoZ Homeschooling offers an extensive list of Christmas ideas in every subject area from science, social studies, baking, and many other great ideas!!
- 65 Christmas Activities for Preschoolers ~ This list of 65 different Christmas activities for preschoolers would be a great addition to your unit studies.
- History Of The Christmas Tree and St. Nicholas ~ This is such a wonderful unit with free printable for grades Pre-K-5th grade. Subjects found in these printables include math, science, geography, social studies, language arts, and more.
- Nutcracker Ballet Resource Unit ~ Bringing your kids to the nutcracker ballet this year? If so these Nutcracker Ballet Resources would be wonderful resources to go along with your trip, better yet they are free!
- Christmas Around The World ~ These free Christmas Around The World printables are great for teaching children about how other kids around the world celebrate Christmas.
Fun Christmas Sensory Ideas
- This Christmas Slime is a really fun sensory idea for kids.
- Gingerbread Latte Play Dough I’m sure it smells delicious.
Some of our favorite Gift ideas
Our Previous Christmas Posts
A look at our previous post with 80+ Resources to teach kids the TRUE meaning of Christmas. I have included family friendly movies, books, crafts, hands on learning ideas and so many other ideas.
For even more great Christmas ideas head over to our Christmas ideas page. There you will find a complete list of all previous Christmas posts.
I am linking up with THESE great linky parties, stop over for more fun Christmas Ideas!